Friday, February 18, 2011

Birthday Pilgrimage


Today I took the day off to visit Earth Mother, a painting by Edward Burne-Jones. Had only found out about her existence a month ago and she had been calling to me ever since I saw the painting listed on their website. Every bit worth the drive, even worth the odd looks from the security guard who seemed puzzled by my reverence and length of visit. Likely he was afraid I was going to try and run off with it or get it wet with my misty eyes. :) 


Happily surprised at how many pieces of Medieval Art was to be found there, paintings and sculptures and even a reconstructed Medieval Chapter House with glorious Stained Glass.


Took notes, was inspired, made sketches, took some pictures. The photos were taken with my Droid Phone and without flash, so none really captured the work very well, but wanted to share them here just for memory's sake and for some fun pairings.


Looking forward to visiting again!

7 comments:

  1. Wow ~ what a bounty of beauty and inspiration! Glad you had such a good day :~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beauty, beasts and beautiful beasts...so glad you had such a "wish-granted" birthday! I think we may need more days in our April M.A.B. gathering.

    Thanks for sharing this jaw-dropping montage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you had a wonderful birthday full of inspiration and beauty :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely way to spend your birthday. And Medieval Muse is spot on, that's a "jaw-dropping montage." Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing--Lovely collection of art photos--Is that a Piero di Cosimo I spy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Earth Mother painting. THanks for this inspiring post
    ♥ Sammi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a fabulous plave to visit. Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete